Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer break with kids

We are really enjoying our summer break so far! Thanks to Pinterest, I came up with some fun things to help us get off to a great start:



We made a summer fun bucket list of about 50 things we want to do this summer - everything from "have a picnic," to "visit the beach," to "try the Mentos and Diet Coke experiment." The kids love having the list up so they can see what fun or silly thing they want to do today.



I updated our chore charts, and we have a good schedule going. We do our morning stuff, our workbooks, cleaning, play outside, the pool for an hour or two, lunch, reading time / quiet time, and then there's usually just enough time for the kids to play really well together (and not quite enough time to start arguing or getting into trouble). Just the way we like it.




Our summer cleaning is working well. I took pictures so that even my 4-year-old can keep up. They get to choose which chore(s) to do each morning, they write their intial on the chart (which is laminated), and by the end of the week our house is completely spotless (in theory).
(I copied part of the layout from here http://www.dandee-designs.com/2011/08/modern-toddler-chore-chart.html )



And I found the cutest thing at http://www.simpleasthatblog.com/2011/08/back-to-school-reading-logs-free.html  - reading logs for the kids' summer reading. And I added pages for the kids to do weekly book reports. And to make it fun - book worms (gummy worms). So great!



The best part about our summer break is that I haven't heard "I'm bored" once yet! I made a "bored" jar, mostly filled with chores to do (and a few fun things), for anyone who says "I'm bored." Am I a mean mom, or what?


0 comments:

Post a Comment